søndag 29. november 2009

Hooked on salmon?


Fly fishing for salmon has never tempted me. Strange, really, because I grew up on the banks of the Lågen - traditionally one of Norway's best salmon rivers.

On a few occasions, however, I did have a go. But after spending hours casting with a big 14 ft rod I really couldn't handle, without having a single pull, I became convinced that I wasn't born for salmon fishing.

Having said that, I have always felt sure that if I (accidentally) hook a salmon, I will probably be hooked on salmon fishing, as well.

That's exactly what happened this summer.

During a fishing trip to Finnmark and Norway's west coast, with two chums from England, I got a lesson in basic Spey casting. Good fun, and even though I still struggle with the timing, I think I made a few, ok casts.

A couple of weeks after returning home, I decided to go and practice some more. So, one evening, after work, I headed for the Lågen, more precisely the lovely Vabrottet Pool.

To make a long story short: After 30 minutes or so, I made contact with my first salmon ever. I couldn't believe it! First, I felt an almost unnoticeable pull, then - after a second or two - the fish took off. The reel was screaming, so was probably I.

To my great surprise, I managed to keep calm and wait a little bit before I struck. Not bad for a trout bum and salmon novise! But after three, maybe four minutes, the fish came off. Not while fighting... The fly, a Green Highlander, just let go...

I have no idea what I did wrong. But feeling the power of a salmon certainly made an impression on me. So, I'm afraid there'll be a few similar trips next season, too. God knows it would be fantastic to land a wild, Atlantic salmon.

I am hooked, am I not???

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar